Somewhere in the middle of Oregon.

Monday, February 14, 2011

The Perfect Valentine

Mental vacations are often a life saver for me, but there comes a time when I JUST can't effectively pretend. Usually it's because I know there is something out there waiting for me. The crisp clean air of Winter, the serenity of the mountains completely silenced by a breath taking layer of snow, the howl of the coyote in the distance, and then.....the roar of my snowmobile, haha. Whatever it is.....something calls to me and says 'lets go'.....so I do, and last weekend....I DID.

Armed with my camera, spotting scope and binoculars, we headed for the roads less traveled (we meaning my husband and I. I realize not many women would pick camping in the snow over flowers and dinner....but I think we have made it clear that I am not like many, and for me, it was the perfect Valentine get-away). Whether I have an actual excuse or not, it's always fun to get off the beaten path and spend time seeing what's out and about in Winter. (and...it's always nice to spend time with my husband)

One of the cool things about Winter (no pun intended) is that it is the opportune time for wildlife viewing.....well....some wildlife. Granted, there are those that are sleeping underground and in logs(which has often rendered in the back of my mind as a bit unfair, that if you don't like the weather outside, you just crawl in a hole and sleep until it gets better....but then I come to my senses and remember that I love snow sports) There are, however, those critters who are not lucky enough to sleep right on through the cold and snowy months. Those who are forced to seek food and shelter on lower grounds have it a little tougher.

Here lies an opportunity to get up close and personal with all different kinds of wildlife. It can offer a chance to get out and view an animal that you otherwise may never see. The foothills our showered with elk and deer this time of year, doing what they can to find an easier source of food.

Grab your binoculars and go for a drive. I'm not suggesting that you try and wander out to pet them....they need their space. But, you can get fairly close without bothering them. The idea is to stay at a safe distance so that they're not stressed about you being there, and you're not being charged by a grumpy moose who doesn't share the same excitement about seeing you as you do about seeing him. Besides....harassing wildlife, in most states, is illegal, and I think chasing them up the hill to get a picture qualifies. But, if you're careful not to get too close, they will happily pose for you while you watch.

From Spring right on through late Fall, all animals are diligently trying to pack on weight so that when Winter rolls in, they have that extra bit of insulation most of us humans are trying to avoid. Without these extra fat rolls and resources, their chances of Winter survival will be slim, and getting through those fidged nights will be much harder.



Keep this in mind as you go out searching for critters. It's important for them to conserve their energy in an effort to survive the Winter conditions, and they don't want to exerpt any more than necessary. If you're out there chasing or tormenting them....they will obviously be needlessly using their resources. With that said, grab your gear and head for the hills.

1 comment:

  1. So...I just finished my hunters safety course this week. I must have looked ridiculous and on Saturday when we shoot I'm sure I'll look more like a dumb barbie doll than a hot hunter chick like you, but hey! I'm giving things a shot, right? (Pun intended).

    So you'll have to educate me on when and how to buy a tag or draw out on a tag or whatever it is you do and if I'm lucky enough to get a tag. I would really like to go. Jaden just finished the course also and will be 12 in September. PLEASE help me on how to get him tags on things because Gene Ekenstam was trying to explain how the younger kids have a much higher chance at drawing out on tags for some reason.

    These pictures are great! You'll have to drag me along a time or two when you go. Preferably when it's not cold but if it is cold, it'll just get me on the course to toughening up, so bring it on.

    ReplyDelete