Somewhere in the middle of Oregon.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The First Step Is Bravery

When I was younger and unmarried....I was a bit of a loner. Not because I was shy or uncomfortable with being around people(well maybe a little), but mostly because many of the things I did, were not things that the average 20 year old girl would do(Or even should do alone, but being my independent self...I did them anyway). In the back of my mind, I guess I just usually assumed that no one would have wanted to go with me....so I just went alone or with my dad instead of inviting friends. (saved myself the let down of them telling me no, and giving me weird looks of 'why would I want to do that')

My willingness to wander to the woods could have come from a number of reasons, perhaps because in a small town there's not much to do but fish and hunt, but I'm guessing it was because I was very comfortable in the outdoors having spent so much time out there while I was growing up. My reasons now are different than they used to be, but I manage to find a reason, none the less. Sometimes it's because I want to hang out with my kids that are growing up faster than I realize, and some times it's because I feel the need to hide from those same kids who seem to think I am made of money, and should be their maid, lol.

So....it turns out, that over the years.....I have learned that most of my friends would probably have gone with me if only I had asked. Many of the women I used to hang out with, love the outdoors just as much as I do. Being that most women have a mutual appreciation of sorts for the outdoors, I'm here to share my ambitions, and what I have learned along the way. Whether it be lying on the beaches of Florida, climbing to the top of the nearest mountain peak, or wakeboarding her favorite lake, being in the outdoors is not just classified as being in the woods. It's all about getting out and enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, smelling the flowers, listening to the birds sing, or even dancing in the rain in your backyard.  (Unless you live in L.A. and then your focus would probably be on getting out of the smog before you can enjoy the air, lol) It doesn't have to be sunny, or warm....you just have to make adjustments in how you dress.

Be brave. You have to start somewhere. Figure out what it is that you have been dying to do. Maybe it's as simple as taking the family on a pic nic. Maybe it's a week long vacation to someplace scenic where you can hook up with a photographic outfitter. Start with doing a little homework on what your options are. Where and when can I go, what is within my budget, what type of atmosphere will I be in, and what will I need when I get there. Having been in situations where survival skills were needed or at least helpful, and being comfortable using those skills, makes all the difference.

Knowledge is your friend.....and so is the internet when it comes to this subject. The world is at your fingertips as far as information goes. Wanting to do something, and knowing how to go about it are two totally different things. Not knowing how is often what keeps us from being adventurous. So doing a little homework is important.....know what you're up against.

Trying new things can be intimidating, and making time for yourself is always a challenge. If you take a minute to do your homework, the knowlege you gain, without a doubt, will give you the courage you need to get going.

Don't let the fear of what might happen keep you from trying. Let being prepared for anything give you the confidence to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment