Somewhere in the middle of Oregon.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Camp Cook Made Easy

Spring fever is settling in and it seems everyone wants to be off camping. Venturing into the backwoods armed with bandaids and bugspray seems only right this time of year. Some of us outdoor diehards live for spending time together in the outdoors, sleeping on the ground in a tent, and lets not forget burning dinner over a campfire and then being forced to eat fruit snacks instead.

A little planning ahead can be a life saver for the chef. Let me just be up front and honest when I say that cooking is probably one of the worst of all of my girl-like qualities, (it's why generally my husband does the cooking at home)because unless I can put it in a crock pot and walk away, it takes too long. However, when we go camping, for some odd reason, everyone expects me to cook, so....I've learned a few tricks. Two of my favorite pans in the outdoors are tinfoil and a hot dog roaster.

Just because I have to cook, doesn't mean I must provide a 5 course meal, but if I want to get fancy, I have a plan for that too. You've all heard of dutch oven cooking, well, invest in one. For between $20 to $50 you can have your own outdoor crockpot and I have added a recipes page with pictures and a few dutch oven treats that are a snap. The great thing about the dutch oven is it can be used for any meal of the day, AND dessert.

When headed off camping, it's easy to pack too much, but the last thing you want to have to deal with is washing dishes, so it's nice if you can leave the pots and pans safely at home. It's also easy to pre-mix ingredience before you leave home and put them in zip tight bags that seal and then just reheat when you get ready. (keep in mind....you WILL need a pan to reheat it in.)

Cooking outdoors can be as simple or as extravegant as you wish to make it, but even extravegant doesn't have to leave you with a national clean-up effort. Try these tips:

        1-paper plates, and plastic utensils and cups
                  These can easily be tossed instead of washed.
     
        2-heavy duty tinfoil has more uses than you realize
                   It has the obvious uses, but also can be used as a pan itself, to line one of your own pans for      quick clean up, or as a liner for the grill over the firepit.
                 
        3-plastic seal tight bags are so much easier than bowls and you don't have to wash them.
                   Not only can you pre-mix things in them and use them as a bowl, but they have the obvious storage cababilities.

Here's a couple of things to keep in mind. While I'm expected to cook for everyone when we're camping, I also expect to have fun while I'M camping. I do not want all of my camping memories to be of me choked with campfire smoke, singed hair, and cleaning up dirty dishes. For these reasons I plan ahead, think simple, and in todays world, shop cheap. If you want a big meal, the dutch oven is great, and easier than you might think. If you're into simple, roast a hot dog on a stick with a bag of chips, or make sub sandwhiches before you go. Planning ahead makes outdoor cooking much less stressful.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you! The easier the clean up the better the meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot of great points in this post, that were brought to my attention. I love the idea of planning it all ahead and throwing it into plastic seal tight bags for pre mixing meals!

    ReplyDelete